American Kids Choose Marijuana Over Prescription Drugs
Santa Cruz, California - A recent study revealed that there has been a slight decrease in the number of young adults aged 18-25 that are abusing prescription drugs. While any decrease is an accomplishment for the individuals that are trying to prevent drug abuse, many young adults may be turning to marijuana as their preferred drug.
According to a recent study while prescription drug use is appearing to remain unchanged, there continues to be more use of marijuana by American youths. Rehab centers such as Narconon and other facilities are looking into the cause of this. There appear to be two primary reasons. The first is that many young people assume that the drug is “safe” or “non-addictive” because of the promotion of it in the media and popular culture.
The second reason is the accessibility of the drug, due to its medical legalization in several states across the country.
Now That We Understand The Problem, How Do We Stop It?
The above are the primary reasons why marijuana use is so prevalent. Narconon in Florida suggests that we can do the several things to stop the problem. The number one way to prevention marijuana abuse is through parental influence. Parental influence has more of an impact on children than peer pressure, while you may not feel that your children are listening to what you have to say, it is important to talk to your children about prescription drug abuse. There are several ways to do this including:
1. Keep an open line of communication with your kids and revisit the topic of drug abuse often.
2. Be cautious of any prescription drugs that your child has been prescribed or if the drugs are actually necessary. Make sure they only take amounts prescribed and that there is always the correct number of pills leftover in the bottle.
3. Provide information on the side effects, risks and addictive potential of drugs.
4. Never keep outdated or leftover prescription drugs in your home. Dispose of them properly. Take them to a prescription take back location so that they can be incinerated, which is the recommended disposal method.
5. Educate yourself and the adults in your life on prescription drug abuse as well as marijuana abuse. Many adults who abuse prescription drugs may not even consider themselves drug abusers, since many adults begin their addiction to prescription drugs from obtaining a legitimate prescription and gradually increasing their dose or they start to obtain additional prescriptions from additional sources. They seem to ease into drug abuse and never stop to look at themselves as in danger. Young people, often impressionable and vulnerable, can learn from this example.
Some students have been known to abuse prescriptions such as Adderall, Vyyanse, Ritalin and Focalin. They are taking these medications to stay up study or to gain focus during a big test. Many students take such large amounts of these drugs, which then can become dangerous and deadly.
The students abusing these drugs are not kids that you would suspect have a drug problem. These are typically “A/B” average kids that are trying to increase their grades to get into a better college or meet the ever-increasing demands of school. Parents must be made aware of this.
Through prevention and education, young adults’ drug abuse can be lessened. Rehabilitation is the second step if a problem already exists. Contact the Narconon center in Florida today for more information on effective rehabilitation.
About the Author: Rigo Ubillus is a writer with experience writing in regards to drug abuse as well as rehabilitation techniques. Ubillus works with Narconon Vista Bay to combat substance abuse. If you need help with a prescription drug abuse problem, Rigo can be reached by phone at 800-559-8885or by email at email@example.com.
Narconon Vista Bay Drug Rehabilitation
Telephone #: 800-556-8885