Woodbury FD Puts Out Mattress Fire on Sweetwater Path, Dryer Fire on Regency Drive
Nobody was hurt in either incident.
It was a busy 12 hours for the Woodbury Fire Department as crews responded to fires at two homes.
A mattress caught fire Thursday at a home at the 11000 block of Sweetwater Path, causing smoke damage to the home, said Woodbury Fire Cmdr. John Wallgren. The department got the call at 2:33 p.m., and was on scene five minutes later.
A teenage girl was home sick for the day, and was playing with matches and somehow her mattress started on fire, Wallgren said. She managed to put it out with a fire extinguisher initially, but it later rekindled and she “woke up to a smoke-filled house,” he said.
The mattress was thrown out a window and crews helped ventilate the home, Wallgren said. Nobody was hurt.
After coming home from a late showing of the new Twilight movie, a member of a household at the 1000 block of Regency Drive started doing laundry, and a dryer caught fire.
“Probably lint,” Wallgren said.
There was some smoke damage to the home. The fire department got the call about 15 minutes before 1 a.m. Friday.
Crews also responded to a small grass fire on Thursday.
While a burning ban for Washington County has been lifted, people should still take care, Wallgren said.
Despite the dusting of snow Woodbury got earlier this week, it has been dry and windy, he said.
“Don’t be fooled,” Wallgren said.