It is easy to get busy and forget some of these common sense tips during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. This is a good reminder to all of us.
Tips for Safe Shopping
1. Lock your car and take your keys with you.
2. Do not leave valuables in plain view in your car. Put packages in the trunk, where they are out of sight.
3. When shopping after dark, ask a friend, family member, or mall security employee to accompany you to your car.
4. Park in a well-lit area.
5. Have your keys ready when leaving the store to return to your car.
6. Keep valuables and money in a pocket or small purse with a strap that can be worn across your body.
7. Watch your step — curbs, sidewalks and parking lots can be slippery this time of year. Sidewalks can heave in the cold and create tripping hazards.
8. Look in and under your car before getting inside. Lock your doors promptly.
9. Be discreet when paying for merchandise if you are carrying a large sum of cash.
10. Be alert to what is happening around you.