Woodbury crews responded to a fire Tuesday afternoon at a townhome at the 8600 block of Quarry Ridge Lane.
A laptop computer had been left running on a couch, sparking the blaze, said Woodbury Fire Cmdr. John Wallgren.
“It was a significant fire,” he said.
The call came in at 2:16 p.m. and crews arrived at the scene minutes later.
Nobody was home at the time, and no firefighters were injured while battling the blaze. A neighbor called 911. The woman who lives at the townhome was at work.
A neighbor told authorities the smell of smoke had been in the air since about 10 a.m., Wallgren said.
Firefighters forced their way into the home, which suffered “extensive damage,” he said.
“The home will not be livable,” Wallgren said.
Smoke from the fire penetrated two adjacent units, and crews ventilated those townhomes, though there didn’t appear to be any fire or smoke damage, Wallgren said.
Crews from Oakdale and Cottage Grove were called in to assist.
“It was awfully cold for the guys, but it didn’t hinder our operations,” Wallgren said.
There have been similar fires in Woodbury in which laptops were left on beds or couches and started a fire, he said.