.

Manning Avenue House Fire: ‘A Total Loss’

The Woodbury Fire Department was among several agencies that responded to the early-morning house fire in Afton.

A home at the 1100 block of Manning Avenue South in Afton was destroyed by fire early Friday morning.

One man and his dog were able to escape the blaze, which broke out at about 4:15 a.m. Friday morning, according to Tom Frazer, communications coordinator with Washington County.

“The house appears to be a total loss,” he said.

The fire was under control by about 6:45 a.m. Friday morning, Frazer said.

At about 9:45 a.m. the house was still smoking and crews were putting water on the structure.

Dave Schneider, a captain with the Lower St. Croix Valley Fire Department, said several "tender tankers" were needed to get water to the home, located down a half-mile gravel driveway off Manning Avenue.

The cause of the fire hasn't been determined, Schneider said, but it may have been started by a candle.

No firefighters were injured or treated for heat-related issues.

"Lots of water and Gatorade," Schneider said.

Responding fire departments included , Cottage Grove, Bayport, Hudson, Wis., Oakdale and the Lower St. Croix Valley.

 

Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Sign up for our newsletter

Sunshine July 06, 2012 at 04:08 PM
Does anyone know the man who lives in this house? I would like to give him a Tara's Tote, which is a tote of essential items that people need in the immediate aftermath of a house fire. I live in Hudson and could bring it to someone to give to him. My website is www.tarastotes.weebly.com
Kris Janisch July 06, 2012 at 04:13 PM
Someone on scene told me his name was Kelly, but it was still pretty hectic when I was there.
Caleb Brunz July 06, 2012 at 04:54 PM
I am really thankful and happy to see what you are doing with the totes. There are so many unknowns that people go through when a fire happens and you are doing such a great thing for people who experience this type of tramatic experience. Keep up the great work.
Sunshine July 06, 2012 at 06:01 PM
Thanks to everyone that emailed me!! I'm dropping off a tote this afternoon for him:)
Kris Janisch July 06, 2012 at 06:02 PM
Great to hear Sunshine! Thanks for your efforts during what I'm sure is a tough time for the homeowner.
Susan July 06, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Nice job, Sunshine!
Sunshine July 06, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Why do people have to get negative in this forum?? If you know the person and have an issue, talk to them directly. Lets keep the rumors and nastiness out of here....don't behave like a teenage cyber bully:(
Susan July 07, 2012 at 12:10 AM
I have to agree - let's let the fire inspectors and police do their job - they will find the truth. Until then, I think what Sunshine is doing is admirable (helping those who have suffered a tragedy), and people are innocent until PROVEN guilty.
Shawn July 07, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Thank you so much for the tote. It was delivered to the homeowner this evening. He appreciates your generosity very much!
DMJ July 07, 2012 at 01:33 PM
Thank you Sunshine for the good work you do for others!
Kris Janisch July 07, 2012 at 02:23 PM
I had to delete some libelous comments here. Let's all remember our terms of use: http://woodbury.patch.com/terms
Kris Janisch July 07, 2012 at 02:52 PM
Glad to hear the tote was delivered and appreciated.
Kevin Dawson July 09, 2012 at 02:59 AM
Most accidental candle fires like this can be prevented! Kevin's Kandles provide an innovative concept in safer candles for illumination. These candles are Much Safer than traditional candles, Convenient, Inexpensive and Environmentally Friendly. If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out! Ideal for Emergency and Disaster Preparedness. Help reduce the risk of accidental candle fires in our communities by visiting www.asafercandle.com
Randy Marsh July 09, 2012 at 04:20 AM
Congratulations Kevin on your sure fire nomination for d-bag of the year. Don't you have some other ambulance to chase?
Tiki Oswald July 09, 2012 at 02:05 PM
Hi Sunshine, I work for the AmericInn of Stillwater and I would love to get in touch with you to add a gift certificate for a hotel stay in each of your totes? I know that first night can be rough until you get everything figured out with insurance. Please call me at your convenience: 651-275-0980 www.hotelstillwater.com Thanks for the great things you do! Tiki Oswald

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something