In late August, police shot and killed and Mark Eric Henderson, of St. Paul, during a hostage standoff at the Red Roof Inn. He was unarmed at the time, but apparently ran from the room a short time after a weapon was pointed at officers. A shot was fired as Henderson was fleeing the second-floor room, and police opened fire.
Demetrius Santrell Ballinger, of Stillwater, is accused of firing the shot at Henderson, and has been charged with 27 felonies, including attempted murder and rape.
In an effort to avoid a conflict of interest, BCA officials have given their findings to the Ramsey County Attorney’s Office, according to the Pioneer Press story.
The three Woodbury Police Department officers who fired their weapons were placed on administrative leave. They are officer Anthony Ofstead, an 11-year veteran with the department; officer Stacey Krech, who’s been with the department for five years and officer Natalie Martin, who’s been with the PD for two years.
- Man Killed in Shootout with Woodbury Police During Hostage Standoff at Red Roof Inn
The incident also sparked community outcry over criminal happenings at the Red Roof Inn:
- Shut Down Woodbury’s Red Roof Inn? It’s Not That Simple
- Red Roof Inn Research: 10 Times the Police Calls as Other Woodbury Hotels
- Woodbury Officials to Work with Red Roof Inn Management
- Woodbury Resident on Red Roof Inn: ‘Clean it Up or Close it Down’
- Petition for Red Roof Inn (blog post)
- Woodbury Residents Speak Out About Red Roof Inn: Raw Video